Why do we fear the ‘flu season’ every year? Is there really a virus that comes out of hibernation every winter to prey on the unsuspecting? Unlikely. Though year after year the instances of viral and bacterial infections rises through the colder months.
As Americans, especially, 85% of our population could be classified as ‘less than healthy’, in reference to immunity to foreign invaders. Immunity suppressants can manifest as stress, lack of exercise, nutrition in the form of prepackaged meals, environmental pollution including the water we drink, etc. Immune system invaders are everywhere.
An American lifestyle is a fast-paced, high-pressure system that creates increased demands on our time – making us age faster and keeping us chronically inflamed. Excessive use of antibiotics as medicine and in our foods, pesticides, herbicides, preservatives, chronic mental stress, all challenge the anti-inflammatory organs and functions of the body, thus once again, depressing our immune system.
What are we to do? What we should do to keep ourselves healthy!
- Get plenty of sleep to recharge and repair the body
- Eat your veggies – Supporting the gut means supporting the immune system
- Incorporate foods for their function
- Yogurt (probiotic, acidophilus and bifidobacter preferred)
- Oats (rich in beta glucans)
- Garlic (contains allican)
- Seeds, nuts and their oils (has minerals such as zinc and selenium)
- Whole grains (wealth of B vitamins)
- Colored fruits and vegetables (rich in beta carotene, vitamins A, C, and E)
- Fresh wild fish (supplies essential fatty acids, Vitamin D and coenzyme Q-10)
- Herbs and spices (echinacea, elderberry, ginseng, astraglus, bayberry, hawthorn, licorice root, red clover, tumeric, ginger, golden seal, black cumin seed, etc.)
- Drink plenty of water so that your fluid systems can run at optimum effectiveness
- Practice good hygiene
- Reduce exposure to toxic chemicals and drugs
- Adequate exercise and elimination of chronic stress will improve your immune status significantly!
- Get your spine adjusted! – Removing pressure from the spinal nerves by aligning the vertebrae allows the nervous system to function optimally. Research over 3 years showed Chiropractic patients to have a 200% greater immune competence than people who had not received Chiropractic care.
Create Health and Create Resistance!
Berg, J. and Baker, K. (2014) ‘Autoimmunity and the Gut’; Fulop, J. (2014) ‘Disease, Health and the Human Microbiome’. NDNR; www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21446353
Thanks for reading! Find out more at our website!