New research shows that even LOW doses of caffeine have a great effect on kid’s cardiovascular systems. These findings were published in the journal, Pediatrics.
- What is a LOW DOSE of caffeine?
- HALF a can of soda
- LESS THAN HALF a cup of coffee
- FEW OUNCES of an energy drink
- Kids are consuming more caffeine than ever!!
- Caffeine has shown to have even more potent heart and blood pressure effects in boys than girls after puberty
- Caffeine slows down heart rates and increases blood pressure with ANY DOSE in ALL children
- Heart rates slow down to compensate for the rise in blood pressure
- Caffeine has ABSOLUTELY NO HEALTH BENEFITS FOR CHILDREN
- 17 and 18 year olds are drinking double the amount of caffeine compared to a decade ago
- Teens are replacing soda with coffee and energy drinks
- Coffee and energy drinks typically have more sugar than soda!!!
- Children and teenagers are NOT drinking enough water
- High doses of caffeine can bump blood pressure into the danger zone
- Causing heart arrhythmias (abnormal heart rhythm)
- Causing heart attacks
- Causing seizures
- 50% of reports to the National Poison Data System about energy drinks were in CHILDREN YOUNGER THAN 6 YEARS OLD!!!!!!!
Please be aware of what your family is putting in their bodies, especially your children!
Reference: Carroll, L. Kids and caffeine may be a dangerous combination, new study suggests. Today Health. June, 16, 2014. www.today.com/health/kidscaffeine-may-be-dangerous-combination-new-study-suggests-1D79801666
Interested in more information? Contact Pentz Family Chiropractic Life Center, your Summerville Chiropractor! (843) 879-9824 or visit our website!